This Week’s Welcome
Tena koutou katoa,
Welcome to 2020 at Upper Harbour Primary. I hope you’ve all had a wonderful time with your children over the holiday break and it’s great to see them back. I’m quite sure they’ve all grown at least 2 inches!
I hope the frequent updates about Novel Coronavirus have been helpful. The flow of new information from the Ministry seems to have slowed down now and we are all waiting out the self-isolation period.
This term our Values focus is Whanaungatanga - your children can help you learn how to pronounce it! Whanaungatanga is all about being a family and in Values Assembly yesterday I used the example of how a strong rope has many strands. There are many of us and, when we work together, that makes us a strong family.
I heard on the news this evening that the heavy rains in Australia are putting out the fires but causing awful flooding. This Friday we are joining with other primary schools in Auckland to raise funds for our Aussie primary school neighbours. If your child has anything green and gold, they are welcome to wear it, or just any mufti in exchange for a gold coin.
We are holding off our termly powhiri (formal welcome) until Week 4 and I look forward to catching up with many of you then.
Scholastic Book Club
This year’s first issue of the Scholastic Book Club is being sent home this week. Please make sure you place your order before Friday the 6th of March. Thank you.
Weetbix TRYathlon Team
- Entries are open for the Weetbix TRYathlon on Sunday 22nd March 2020 at Manly Park, Whangaparaoa.
- The TRYathlon is all about giving it a TRY and is a rewarding and fun day out for you and your child.
- Participants need to be aged 7-15 years old on event day and can complete the TRYathlon as an individual or in a team of two.
- To enter the TRYathlon visit www.tryathlon.co.nz/
- Our school has created a School Group which you can join when you enter from home. Search for Upper Harbour Primary when prompted. By linking to our school group it will give us the chance to win some great prizes.
- The direct link to register into our school group is here
- If someone you know requires financial assistance to enter the TRYathlon, should it be subsidised entry fees or funding for necessary equipment, then you can apply to the Weet-Bix TRYathlon Foundation for assistance. Visit www.tryathlon.co.nz/foundation for details.
- If you have any school-related questions please contact Sue Smith on firstname.lastname@example.org otherwise contact the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon team; email Sophia@smcevents.co.nz or phone 0800 WEET BIX (0800 9338 249).
At the beginning of every year your children will usually change classrooms and/or schools - please update your child's details by clicking "members" and changing their classroom name and school (otherwise your lunches will end up in the wrong location). If your child no longer attends a school with Lunchonline then you can make them "inactive" by unticking the box next to their name.