= Equinet News
MEETINGS AND EVENTS
27/08/2015: Equinet Chair Evelyn Collins and Executive Director Anne Gaspard met with EU Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality Věra Jourová to present the role of Equinet and equality bodies and exchange on current EU priorities in relation to equality and non-discrimination.
3-4/9/2015: The Commission for Protection against Discrimination hosted a training session on “Helping equality bodies to apply for and use EU funds” in Sofia, Bulgaria for staff members of equality bodies.
10/09/2015: Equinet attended a roundtable discussion with Randy W. Berry, US Special Envoy for the Human Rights of LGBTI Persons, together with European NGOs, equality body representatives and European organizations.
Human Dimension Implementation Meeting (HDIM)
29/09/2015: The HDIM 2015 of OSCE participating States is Europe's largest annual human rights and democracy conference and takes place from 21 September to 2 October. Anne Gaspard, Equinet Exectuvie Director moderated the Working Session 12 - Combating hate crimes and ensuring effective protection against discrimination.
The shaping of the public profile is one of the main tasks for the communicators of any equality body. Doing it properly and effectively might be one of the greatest challenges that the communicators face. Written by our Working Group on Communication Strategies and Practices, this report aims to share our experience on different ways of dealing with public-profile building and to remind and advocate for the importance of keeping track and being proactive as regards the public profile of the equality body.
We're looking for a trainee from October 2015 to March 2016 to support the administrative and financial management of the Secretariat, as well as the planning and organisation of Equinet events. Deadline: 11/10/2015
- 28/08/2015: The European Commission has issued a policy initiative under the title ‘New start to address the challenges of work-life balance faced by working families’. The roadmap aims to address the low participation of women in the labour market by modernising and adapting the current EU legal and policy framework to today's labour market.
- 08/08/2015: The European Parliament adopted the final version of the report on the Situation of Fundamental Rights in the EU 2013-2014. The report calls on the European Commission to adopt an internal strategy on fundamental rights in the “near future”. It also urges the Council of the EU to adopt the horizontal Equal Treatment Directive as soon as possible.
Council of the European Union
- 02/09/2015: A consolidated version of the proposal for a Council Directive on implementing the principle of equal treatment between persons irrespective of religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation (Horizontal Directive) has been made public.
United Nations Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- 27-28/08/2015: The UN Committee held a Constructive Dialogue with the EU delegation on the EU’s work on the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, the first international human rights treaty ever ratified by the EU. In September 2015, the UN Committee published its concluding observations.
Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU)
- 16/07/2015: The CJEU issued a preliminary ruling in a case of alleged discrimination on grounds of ethnicity, referred to it by a Bulgarian court (Case C‑83/14). The Court provided important guidance on the application of Directive 2000/43/EC (the Race Equality Directive) to a determination of whether an electricity company’s placing of electricity meters in majority-Roma districts at a height where users could not read them was discrimination. Summary by Equal Rights Trust