(Photo Above: Paige Christy (right) has organized all the July 4th at the Hanover Arts & Activities Center. Paige says...Rain or Shine there will be FUN FOR EVERYONE!)
Happy 4th of July Everyone!
On behalf of the entire Ashland Main Street Association, we hope you have a wonderful holiday surrounded by family and friends. We encourage you to visit The Hanover Arts & Activities Center (500 S. Center St) for a patriotic experience you will never forget! Pie Contest, Pet Decorating Contest and a parade that is guaranteed to make you smile!
The Ashland Library (210 S. Railroad Ave) has their annual DVD, BOOK and MORE sale! Go by there and get some great summer entertainment and support the Friends of the Ashland Library!
Also, take time out to visit the Sugar Fix Bakery (105 England St.) and wish owner Melinda Foster ONE FULL YEAR in the Center of the Universe. She will definitely appreciate your business! They open Monday, July 4th at 9:00 am and will close at 1:00 pm. They are having giveaways all day because it's their ONE YEAR BIRTHDAY!!
Suggested itinerary for Monday, July 4th (approved by grandparents we know in town:
1) Get into the spirit of the holiday and make an apple pie. Drop this off at theHanover Arts & Activities Center (500 S. Center St.) between 9-10:30am. COTU pies are always wonderful to see & smell!
2) Visit the Ashland Museum (105 Hanover Ave. Check out the Red Caboose). Before the parade have family or friends stop by. Ask about Camp Ashland which will be held in August. Also ask about the Ashland App that will guide you all around town!
3) Head across the tracks to theAshland Library (201 S. Railroad Ave) and check out all the great books, DVDs and movies for sale.The Friends of the Library do GREAT THINGS for our community and all proceeds benefit their mission. Sale goes from 9am-2pm. Stop by Cross Bros. and wish them a Happy 4th & pick up some goodies to enjoy.
4) At 11am The Parade begins - get ready to smile and wave at the trains going by too! The route starts at Henry Clay Elementary ( Line up begins at 10:15am ) and ends at The Center. Bring some chairs or take a blanket. It's so much fun to see what our community has to offer - the Lawn Chair Brigade is a HOOT! . (Note: If there is lightening or thunder there will be NO parade. If there is JUST RAIN or SHINE - there will be a parade!) ASHLAND'S FINEST UPS GUY Vern is Ashland's GRAND MARSHALL of the 4th of July Parade!
5) 11:45am If you have a pet - decorate them and bring to the Center! You can enter them in the Patriotic Pet Contest. Meet on corner of the lawn and look for red white and blue canines and others pets. There have been hamsters in the past.
6) NOON...Kick back on a blanket or bring a chair and enjoy listening to the Hanover Concert Band! (If it rains there may be a smaller group performing). It's a tradition for all to enjoy. The pie and pet contest winners will be announced. Get some ice-cream from theAshland Main Street Ice Cream Cart which features Klondike Bars and Popcicles!
7) Later...visit some of our fun shops in town...OR... go back by the Library..... You and your family can stock up for great summer reads. The sale stays open til 2pm. Later...enjoy the Library Plaza benches or set up a blanket somewhere green along the tracks and read, relax and enjoy the Center of the Universe. Be sure to visit Sugar Fix!
8) Hungry? Visit our fine restaurants. Click HERE for a complete list of COTU restaurants. Those that are 2 minute walking distance to the Center and open on Monday: Trackside Grill, New Found Gathering Place, Caboose Market Cafe, Iron Horse Restaurant.
9) Make a memory - Take a Selfie! Selfie spots are plentiful in downtown Ashland. TheAshland Visitor's CenterLOVE sign is popular. Also check out the Library Plaza COTU fountain and the red caboose near the Ashland Museum.
10)Fireworks - click HERE to see the big displays! Sparklers are always fun in your own backyard.
Be safe and enjoy your time in Downtown, Ashland! We would love to hear and see what you did to celebrate your 4th. Send us your patriotic photos at firstname.lastname@example.org or post on our facebook page!
ANNUAL 4th of JULY SALE 9am-2pm BOOKS, DVDs, & MORE! Come on by!
About Ashland Main Street Association & 'GET CENTERED'
Ashland Main Street Association is a nonprofit 501 (c)(3) organization, founded to help build Ashland into a vibrant, diverse community of residents, businesses, arts and cultural organizations, and to bring visitors into historic downtown Ashland. GET CENTERED is our monthly newsletter that highlights events in the Center of the Universe.
If you have questions or wish to submit an article for review - please email email@example.com. Articles must be submitted by the 1st of the month to be published in the next issue.