This past week (Dec 4-5), someone who attended shabbat davening (outdoors, as always) has since tested positive for COVID-19. This individual was (and continues to be) asymptomatic and followed all proper protocols for attending shul, including more than 6 feet of distancing and wearing an N95 mask.
We had always anticipated the possibility of an asymptomatic individual davening with us, and our policies were put in place to minimize the risk of transmission even in that scenario. I am grateful to all in our community who turned out while rigorously observing our COVID safety protocols.
Out of an abundance of caution, we are requiring individuals who were present at davening to either receive a COVID test or wait 2 weeks before returning to tefilah. Because of our required registration practices, we were able to notify these individuals quickly and easily.
Owing to uncertainty around testing turnaround times, we will be modifying our schedule for the upcoming days in a few ways.
Friday Night @ 3:45pm: Zoom Partnership Kabbalat Shabbat and Candle Lighting! Please join us to light candles and welcome shabbat together.
Shabbat @ 9:30am: We will be having a brief shacharit at the lot, with no kiddush or mincha.
Sunday @ 4:30pm: We’ll have a low-key, socially-distanced chanukah candle lighting on the lot. Stop by for a few minutes!
While this case does not directly change our COVID policy, we are acutely aware of the rise in cases in NYC and will be adjusting our approach correspondingly. We’ll share more as our policies evolve.
As always, please don’t hesitate to contact me, Rabbi Leener, or the board if you have any questions.
Wishing us all good health,