Te iwi tahi tatou - We are one family.
Tēnā koutou, Konnichiwa, As-salāmu 'alaykum, Hola,
27 February 2023
Dear Parents & Whānau,
First of all, a big thank you to all our students who supported the non-uniform day on Friday. It was a great display of manaakitanga, and I'm proud to say that we raised a significant amount fo money for the Cyclone Gabrielle relief effort. We will confirm the total amount in the next few days, so look out on our Facebook page for this.
Finally, this a reminder that there is a Paid Union Meeting on Wednesday 1 March. Students will be released at 1:30 pm. If you haven't already done so, please get in touch with your child's homeroom teacher to let them know if your child has permission to leave school early or not. A small number of staff will remain at school to supervise any students who cannot leave early.
Don't forget to check out the school's Facebook Page which has the latest updates about what is going on at school.
Dates for Term 1
Term dates for 2023
- 1 March - Movin' March starts!
- 1 March - Teacher Union Meeting - Early finish 1.30pm
- 6-8 March - Camp 1 - Rooms 3, 4, 11, 15
- 8-10 March - Camp 2 - Rooms 7, 8, 12, 13
- 10 - 22 March - SWIS is hosting Japanese students from Shibuya Makuhari School
- 13 March - School Board Meeting
- 13-15 March - Camp 3 - Rooms 9, 10, 14, 16
- 15-17 March - Camp 4 - Rooms 1, 2, 5, 6
- 20 March - SWIS Athletics at Newtown Park
- 22 March - School photos
- 30 March - Learning Showcase Evening
- 31 March - WRISSA Athletics at Newtown Park
- 5 April - Kids Lit Quiz @ Wellesley College
- 5 April (Wednesday) - Last day of school for Term 1
- 24 April - Teacher Only Day (school closed)
- 25 April - Anzac Day (school closed)
- 26 April (Wednesday) - First day of Term 2
- Term 1: 2 Feb - 5 April (Note: 6 April is a Teacher Only Day & 7 April is Good Friday)
- Term 2: 26 April - 30 June
- Term 3: 17 July - 22 Sep
- Term 4: 9 Oct - 15 Dec
Parking for Newtown Festival Fundraiser
We are looking for adults to help us take money and direct traffic from 6 - 9:30am on 5 March - at the start of the Newtown Festival. Stall holders will be parking for the day in our grounds, and your job will be to help direct them as they park. You will get to park for free at 6am and bonus, you get to wear a high vis vest!
Please contact Karl.Emson@swis.school.nz if you can help.
School photos will be taking place on Wednesday 22 March. Please follow this link to the pre-order form.
School donations are voluntary (and tax deductible) and help fund the curriculum, classroom resources including playground and sports equipment and library facilities.
Donation: $270/child (per year)
Other than optional and sporting events, we anticipate no extra in-school costs over and above these costs.
Information regarding payments of these donations is emailed to parents each term.
School donations can be paid on KINDO.
Also remember that you can claim a third of your donation back from the IRD. See more information here
Census 2023 information
The census is a nationwide survey that happens every five years to understand more about life in Aotearoa New Zealand and how it is changing. You can complete your census forms either online or on paper. The census is important and everyone needs to complete it by law. By taking part, you help create a better understanding of your community and what it needs. For more information visit www.census.govt.nz.
Movin' March starts on Wednesday 1 March!
Walking, biking, and scooting to school can help increase independence, physical and mental health, decision making, and road safety skills for tamariki. We'd like to encourage all our students to give it a go this month!
The event organisers have moved Mud Run registrations to a different website.
Mud Run info update
Please use this link to register your child.
If you have registered your child using the initial link that was sent out in the SWIS sports notice earlier this month, you do not need to re-register as the event organisers will transfer these entries over.
If you would like us to bring your child from school to the venue and back please fill in the Google Form for the bus.
When registering your child, write the School Name in FULL (i.e. South Wellington Intermediate School not SWIS).
Please make sure you select:
the correct date (Wednesday 24 May)
venue (Camp Wainui)
event (Year 7/8 - 3km)
THE TEACHER WILL PICK UP THE RACE NUMBER when you get to the Bib Collection question.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
FOCUS ON VISUAL ART AT SWIS
This term, every SWIS student will be learning about the 7 elements of art - line, shape, form, space, texture, value and colour.
Using a range of mediums, your child will demonstrate their knowledge using clay, glaze, liquid paint, water-colour and oil pastels to name a few.
Our inquiry questions will include:
- Can we ever decide: ‘what is art?’ and ‘what could the criteria be?’
- What are your Ngā Pūkenga o te Tangata (character strengths) and how can these be represented in your art?
- How do the 7 elements of art contribute to the effectiveness and appreciation of artwork?
If you would like to help out in our beautiful art space, (no artistic skills necessary!) that would be WONDERFUL! Please email our Specialist Art Teacher, email@example.com