Clinical depression is different from feeling â€œblue.â€ Everyone feels normal ups and downs throughout their life, but people with clinical depression suffer from symptoms very different from these normal highs and lows. In fact, many people who have been diagnosed with depression donâ€™t feel sad at all. They frequently use words like â€œemptyâ€ or â€œvacantâ€ when describing their symptoms, and what looks like sadness to others is often a feeling of hopelessness and helplessness.
Are You Depressed?
If you display three or more of the following symptoms and have for more than a month or two, you may be suffering from depression:
- Sleep disturbancesâ€”frequent night waking, not sleeping enough, sleeping too much.
- A feeling that the world is hopeless and thereâ€™s nothing you can do to change your life.
- Trouble concentrating or a â€œfoggyâ€ brain.
- Tasks that were once fascinating hold no interest for you.
- You are constantly plagued with negative feelings and thoughts.
- Eating disturbancesâ€”eating too much or not at all.
- Thoughts of suicide, even if you donâ€™t have a concrete plan.
- Youâ€™re more irritable, grouchy, short tempered, or aggressive than normal.
- Youâ€™ve begun self-medicating with food, alcohol, or other dangerous substances.
If youâ€™ve lost interest in life, it may feel like seeking treatment is impossible. However, itâ€™s important for you to know that clinical depression rarely goes away without some form of treatment, and according to a recent study, chiropractic care may be the treatment that youâ€™re looking for.
The Journal of Vertebral Subluxation published research showing that 70 percent of depressed participants felt a â€œmarked improvementâ€ after receiving chiropractic treatment for an upper cervical misalignment.
The study followed 15 patients who had a history of depression. They were all diagnosed with upper cervical misalignments via X-rays and posture analysis. After two weeks of adjustments to the first bone in the neck, 73 percent of the participants reported a marked improvement and 13 percent noted a slight improvement. The other 13 percent reported no improvement or a worsening in the symptoms.
If youâ€™re suffering from depression and you havenâ€™t had success with traditional depression treatments, you may talk to Doctor Helia about alternative therapies. She may be able to improve or relieve your symptoms via specialized adjustments tailored to you, nutritional and exercise advice.
Thereâ€™s no reason to suffer with depression. We are a safe place for you to feel comfortable and reassured during your time of need.