Hallo *|TITLE: FNAME|*,
Happy first days of spring to you! I hear it's been pretty darn warm where some of you are – like, shorts ‘n tees! Crazy! Here in northern BC, it's been much cooler. So much so that a week and a half ago I tromped out to the town of Wells - 40 minutes away from where I live - and made snow angels! My friend Kate filmed the afternoon's events, and I turned it into the latest entry to my Homemade Music Video Project ... number three in the series.
And so if you are already feeling nostalgic for winter, watch the video I made for Angels In Snow (from my earlier album, Hearts Fall.) There! Didn’t that cool you down?
Speaking of making videos…. you may recall the idea for my Homemade Music Video Project is that I want to make videos for every song I’ve ever recorded / will record! (As many as I can, anyways!!) I’ve finished three, and now I’m thinking about what to do next…
I WANT YOU TO BE MY SHOOTING STAR
Grab your video cam / camera phone / iPhone or whatever way you have of creating moving pictures… and I want you to film yourself singing along with my tune “Shooting Star”. You can be as simple or as extravagant as you like! Costumes are great! Miniature ponies… well, you know how I feel about those. YES!
Then send your footage to me by May 1st! Once I’ve collected enough material, I will edit it together to make the coolest video ever!!!
You can either send it to via dropbox by sending me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, you can stick the files on a DVD and mail it to:
4025 Barkerville Highway
Quesnel BC V2J 6T8
(Let me know by email if you’re sending it to me this way so that I know to look for it!)
A Couple of Tips:
- Your footage doesn’t have to be super pro or anything, but do try to make it the highest resolution you possibly can.
- Remember to use the sun or set up lamps so that we can see your lovely face!
- If you're going to sing the song in your shot, play the tune while you’re filming and sing along to the track… that way your mouth movements will line up during editing!
- Don’t be afraid to move the camera closer to you.
- Be silly. Be serious. Dress up! Or just be yourself.
- Save the footage as .mov or .mpeg (or any file type that final cut pro x can deal with is groovy.) If you need help figuring out how to transfer files, you can try this page: Importing personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer (apple support) (I’m not much of a tech wizard myself, so if that doesn’t work, best to ask a buddy.)
- Speaking of photos, you can send a bunch of those too!
- Dressing up like Kareoke Cowboys and singing along with the tune
- Animated sequences
- Singing puppets
- Lasso-ing and juggling acts
- Panning across a sunset landscape
- Sitting in your kitchen drinking coffee
- Sitting in your kitchen playing guitar
- Group sing-a-longs (especially in the “you’re just what I needed” part)
- Recreate the Ed Sullivan Show
- Miniature ponies!
Click here for lyrics and a downloadable version of the song (feel free to set the price to 0.00 for a complimentary download.)
The more footage the merrier, so please share this call with your friends. Don’t feel like you have to send in tons of footage… even five seconds would be great! But please try to limit your submission to five minutes (one, maybe two passes of the song). It’s just me editing this stuff, and I want to have enough time to watch and pick from everyone’s submissions.
Oh my goodness. Typing this out, I’m getting more and more excited by the idea. My dear friends, get filming!!!! How cool is this going to be?XO Karyn
PS, Having never tried anything like this before I anticipate there will be some interesting technical glitches along the way. Let’s help each other out as we figure our way through. It's going to be tremendous.