What's one of the best ways to build a powerful product? Solve a problem that you know intimately. Over the last year, we scratched our own itch, as it were, and built the organisation's first-ever homegrown product: Pause. It's a time-off management tool shaped by our desire to walk the talk, stretch our knowledge beyond product building, and check off yet another dimension of being truly entrepreneurial. More practically, it solves some problems we were desperate to get off our backs.
Being avid software users while running a mature consultancy often means ploughing through a list of tools to make ourselves more efficient, more productive, more motivated... you get the drill. But when it came to leave management tools, we noticed cracks that went beyond the typical cold and predatory approaches of HR software:
- Typical HR tools put numbers before team happiness
- Clunky processes were neither easy nor quick to use
- Information gaps led to shoddy team capacity planning
- Feature bloat led to poorly thought-out processes and unaffordable pricing
- Systems-first approaches left us to figure out processes for ourselves
- Unclear leave policies led to longer stretches between breaks and intense burnout
Talks with other SMEs showed us these problems were far too common. Our systems-first world didn't offer up a solution that was empathetic or fun to use — so we built it.
To become the go-to slice-of-work-life tool, Pause was designed to be: