This is the forty-third COVID-19 update from San Jose Downtown Association, dating back to March 12. They are usually sent on Thursdays.
View this email in your browser
Dear Downtown Businesses:

We have heard from many of you that funding is what you need right now. Good news! Both California and the federal government have passed legislation that includes grants and forgivable loans.
California Small Business COVID-19 Relief Grant Program 
The State of California has launched a new grant program for small businesses that offers $5k, $15k or $25k grants based on annual revenue. Here is what we know so far: 

Who Can Apply? 
  • Eligible small businesses and small non-profits as defined here
  • Must be currently open or have a clear plan to re-open once restrictions loosen
How Can I Apply? 
  • Applications are accepted 12/30/20 through 1/8/21 here
How Can I Learn More?
  • There is a webinar planned for Wednesday, Dec 30 at 1 p.m. hosted by the Small Business Majority, California Go Biz and Lendistry. Register here.
Federal Stimulus Package Signed
The second federal stimulus package has been signed by the President which includes Payroll Protection Program (PPP) forgivable loans. Here is what we know so far: 

Who Can Apply?

  • Businesses, some nonprofit organizations, self-employed and independent contractors
  • Existing PPP borrowers are eligible for a second loan if they have fewer than 300 employees and can demonstrate a 25% reduction in gross revenue during a quarter from 2020 compared with the same quarter in 2019
  • First time PPP borrowers are subject to the original eligibility rules 
How Much Can I Borrow?
  • Loan amounts are based on payroll with a maximum of $2 million
  • Eligibility for amount is equal to 2.5 times average monthly payroll and for food service industry businesses is equal to 3.5 times average monthly payroll
What are the forgiveness requirements?
  • At least 60% must be spent on payroll to get full forgiveness with the other 40% on eligible costs including mortgage, rent, utilities, and PPE. 
  • For loans under $150,000 there is a simplified forgiveness process 
How Can I Apply?
  • Loans are issued by financial institutions so check with your bank or lender to see if they are participating 
  • The program has not yet started and its opening date will be determined by the SBA. SBA is required to establish regulations in no later than 10 days. Check back here for details. as they become available.
Is there other funding available from this stimulus package? 
  • $15 billion fund established to make grants to live venue operations such as theater and live performing arts organizations
  • $20 billion for advance grants for applicants to the SBA's economic-injury disaster loan program
Rally for Restaurants
Rally for Restaurants is a free, online platform that allows customers to buy gift cards from their favorite local restaurant. There are currently 116 restaurants from San Jose listed on the platform - and we’d love your help getting more restaurants listed!  
How to sign up a restaurant: 
  • Restaurants can complete this short form to be listed on the platform. Their entry should be live 48 hours after the platform receives their  submission. 
  • You can also submit multiple restaurants by emailing a CSV file to
  • Restaurants do not have to be a Toast customer in order to be listed, but if they’re looking for a point-of-sale system for gift cards, Toast is offering their software free for 3 months. 
How to buy a gift card:  
  • Visit and search “San Jose, CA”  for location. 
  • You can order takeout or buy a gift card directly from the Rally for Restaurants platform. 
COVID-19 Links
Let us know how else we can help by replying to this email. We're in this together.
Copyright © 2020 San Jose Downtown Association, All rights reserved.

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences