Palmer Woods is a historic residential district located in the northwest-central section of Detroit-west of Woodward and north of Seven Mile Road. Established in 1916 by real-estate developer Charles W. Burton, the 188-acre neighborhood is characterized by its elm-lined and gently curving streets, creating a parklike atmosphere, and large brick and stone Tudor-style homes situated on large unusually shaped lots. At the southern edge of the district is the Dorothy H. Turkel House, the only house in Detroit designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
Located in the neighborhood is Palmer Park, a 296-acre public park that includes a historic log cabin, a public golf course, tennis courts, hiking and biking trails, and a large pond known as Lake Frances. The landmark, 36-hole Detroit Golf Course is also nearby. Several public and private schools in the area include the prestigious University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy.
The population of Palmer Woods is approximately 1,700, and the homeownership rate is 98%. From December 2019 through December 2020, 13 (+86%) properties sold, and the average sales price was $495,000 (+10%)