Welcome to a new year at SGS!
Dear SGS Families + Supporters,
We are off to another great year here at SGS. August marked our third and most successful STEAM Camp with nearly 40 campers and more than 20 counselors—all past and present SGS students. Take a look at this year’s camp here »
What does this year look like?
We welcome more than 40 new students, whom we are anxious to walk alongside during one of the most critical times for development—the middle school years! This year, our SGS family will include 16 fifth graders, 40 sixth graders, 35 seventh graders, and 28 eighth graders for a school population of 119.
Additions to our faculty
This year, we're welcoming three new faculty members:
Want a hot lunch?
We offer a hot lunch program through NEST. Please note that our hot lunch program will not start until Monday, September 14th. You can find details on this program here »
What's happening after school?
If you are picking your daughter up anytime after 3:45 PM for any activity, please head to E1 where she will be paged by Le'Jayah, our After Care Coordinator (and SGS alum!). Monday-Thursday after school programs at SGS begin promptly at 3:45 PM and will run until 4:40 PM. These include:
- Scholars’ Club
- After Care
- Rock Band
- Spanish Club
- Math Café
- All other clubs
All students still on campus from 4:45-5:45 PM will report to After Care in E1 and will be charged $15/day (added to your tuition bill). On Fridays, After Care and the $15 charge will apply from 3:45-5:00 PM.
Fall sports start Wednesday and Thursday of this week! To see our fall sports offerings, and other information related to athletics, please refer to our Sports Blog. The deadline for sign up for fall sports is September 18. FYI - Bouldering only has a few spots left!
5th+6th Grades: Sign up for your potluck!
We will be hosting potlucks for 5th and 6th grade families to get acquainted with each other, the campus, and our school leadership.
- 5th Grade Potluck: Friday, September 11, at 4:15 PM in the 5th Grade classroom. Sign up here »
- 6th Grade Potluck: Friday, September 11, at 5:15 PM in the Community Meeting Room (CMR). Sign up here »
Join us for coffee!
Drop by the Singh House (around the corner from SGS at 317 28th Ave. S.) to join Rafael and Barbara, and other parents and guardians, for coffee from 8:30-9:30 AM on the following dates:
- Grades 5+6: Wednesday, September 9
- Grade 7: Thursday, September 10
- Grade 8: Friday, September 11
What's going on with the Head of School search?
As Rafael enters his last year at SGS, we want to update you on the search for his successor. Please take a minute to visit www.seattlegirlsschool.org/headofschool to see the timeline for the search. You’ll also find a letter from the SGS Board Co-Chairs for an update on the process, the search committee selection, and the search consultant.
Our parents, faculty, students, administration, and friends will play an important role in our search. You have the opportunity to meet with our consultant to share thoughts about SGS’s strengths, challenges, and opportunities and what you see as the skills needed in our next Head of School. Please plan to attend one of the following meetings:
- September 15 — Evening Option (6:45-7:45 PM)
- September 16 — Morning Option (8:30-9:30 AM)
You will also have an opportunity to meet the final candidates when they visit SGS. Your input is invaluable to the process.
How do we communicate with you?
We have thought intentionally about our parent/guardian communications to ensure that you are connected to what's happening at SGS. This includes an all-school newsletter that goes out on the first Tuesday of every month (that's what you're reading now!), and weekly emails from your daughter's grade-level team. We also have a Parent/Guardian Resources page on our website, which includes links to our calendar, NEST lunch program, school closure info, and classroom blogs.
- Sept. 9 - First day for 5th-6th grades; Welcome Coffee for 5th-6th [8:30-9:30 AM]
- Sept. 10 - First day for 7th grade; Welcome Coffee for Grade 7 [8:30-9:30 AM]
- Sept. 11 - First day for 8th grade; Welcome Coffee for Grade 8 [8:30-9:30 AM]
- Sept. 11 - 5th Potluck [4:15 PM] + 6th Grade Potluck [5:15 PM] after Orientation Week Culminations
- Sept. 15 - Picture Day
- Sept. 15 - Head of School Search Parent Meeting with Search Consultant, Option 1, 6:45-7:45 PM
- Sept. 16 - Head of School Search Parent Meeting with Search Consultant, Option 2, 8-9:30 AM
- Sept. 18 - First CAP/Community Association of Parents Meeting [8:30-9:30 AM]
- Oct. 8 - Back to School Night, 6-8 PM
- Oct. 9 - No school, In-Service Day
- Oct. 12 - No school, Indigenous Peoples' Day