Co-Curricular Programs at SGS
When you were in middle school, did you know how to skateboard? Juggle? How about cook a meal from across the world or sing a song in front of an audience? Had you made a piece of furniture? SGS students have the opportunity to do all these things and more during our Wednesday Workshops, where girls are thoughtfully placed in different classes so that they can discover new passions and try new things. You can read about our current workshops and frequently asked questions online.
Wednesday Workshops are just one of many co-curricular programs in which students participate. Learn more about our other offerings here.
Affinity + Alliance Group FAQs
Last week students participated in our annual Affinity + Alliance Fair to kick off the start of our Affinity + Alliance Groups. If you're curious about why we hold these spaces and what they are, take a look at our Affinity/Alliance Group Frequently Asked Questions here »
You're invited to our Annual Fund Kick-Off!
Pumpkin carving has become a tradition here at SGS. Last year there were disco balls and baskets of candy, but what was most impressive was the amount of joy and enthusiasm every person brought to our community. This year, we want to make room for even more laughter and fun, so we will be hosting our Annual Fund Kick-Off event at the Northwest African American Museum (NAAM). Students and families, please join us for pumpkin carving, free soul food, and free admission to the beautiful museum exhibits.
Now you may be asking, what is the Annual Fund? Annual Funds are typical of independent schools and are a yearly effort to raise money for the school. SGS tuition only covers a portion of the cost of a transformative education, and the Annual Fund is one of the many ways we raise money for our students. For the past four years we have had 100% participation from staff, faculty, current families, and the board of trustees. We hope this will be our fifth year, and we would appreciate if you begin thinking about how you want to participate. A gift of any size helps the immediate needs of the school and makes a difference.
The Annual Fund Kick-Off will be at NAAM from 4-6:30 PM on Friday, October 23rd. Please enjoy the museum exhibits and Neema's Comfort food truck. One pumpkin per family will be provided for carving (categories and prizes to be announced).
Idea Incubator: We Need You!
Are you a woman who works in computer science, engineering, marketing, venture capitalism, or business law? Our 8th graders are working on a design culmination and need project mentors and technical consultants throughout their process. Contact email@example.com for more information.
A Note from your Search Committee Chairs
On behalf of the Search Committee, a big thanks to everyone who took time over the last few weeks to meet with our search consultant to share their thoughts and hopes for the next Head of School. Please take a few minutes to read the latest update from the Search Committee and the position description.
CAP (Community Association of Parents) News
We are off to a fast start in the first month of school! Many thanks to parents and staff who attended our first meeting. Meeting notes are posted on the CAP page.
We encourage you to join us at a future gathering at SGS on the third Friday of each month. For those who can't be there in person, you can always dial in by calling the school (206-709-2228) and ask to be transferred to the Singh House for the CAP meeting. Keep up to date on CAP News by checking the CAP webpage and by following us on Twitter.
- Mock ISEE: Independent high schools often require test scores through the ISEE or SSAT. SGS will host ISEE mock testing on Oct. 17, with a follow up review on Oct. 26. The $25 fee includes the mock test and follow up. Details can be found here.
- Logowear: Get ready for winter with a cozy hat, a warm sweatshirt, or some PJ bottoms! Samples in the main entrance and you can place an order with this online form or at Back to School Night this Thursday, Oct. 8.
- Want to volunteer? We always are looking for enthusiastic community members. You can sign up for any current opportunities on our SignUpGenius.
How do we communicate with you?
We have thought intentionally about our parent/guardian communications to ensure that you are connected to what's happening at SGS. This includes an all-school newsletter that goes out on the first Tuesday of every month (that's what you're reading now!), and weekly emails from your daughter's grade-level team. We also have a Parent/Guardian Resources page on our website, which includes links to our calendar, NEST lunch program, school closure info, and classroom blogs.
- Oct. 8 - Back to School Night, 6-8 PM
- Oct. 9 - No school, In-Service Day
- Oct. 10 - Talking Race, Identity, and Racism [hosted by Families of Color Seattle], 10:30-1 PM
- Oct. 12 - No school, Indigenous Peoples' Day
- Oct. 15 - Next Schools Info Session + Alum Panel [7th + 8th Grades]
- Oct. 15 - WFA at Town Hall, Today's Feminism: Bold and Inclusive Leadership, 7 PM
- Oct. 16 - CAP Meeting, 8:30-9:30 AM
- Oct. 17 - Mock ISEE Test [7th + 8th Grades], 8:30-11:30 AM
- Oct. 18-21 - NWAIS Reaccreditation Team Visit
- Oct. 22 - Picture Retake Day
- Oct. 23 - Annual Fund Kick-Off Event, 4-6:30 PM
- Oct. 29 - Math Night, 6-8 PM
- Oct. 29 - Meet your Mentor [parents/guardians only], 8-8:30 PM
- Nov. 11 - No school, Veterans' Day