|A Special Note From Rafael:
You may, or may not, have noticed a shift in our approach to DRESS CODE.
Last year, this past summer, and in the fall, student leaders and staff raised significant questions regarding the school’s dress code. After a thought-provoking presentation by our new Assistant Head, Barbara, and a student leader, we have noted that student choices in what they wear to school have remained sensible, comfortable, and expressive of individuality despite a shift in school culture away from “stringent regulation” that communicate to girls that their bodies are a “distraction to the school environment.”
I would like to welcome all families to a Roundtable – Beyond a Dress CODE on the evening of December 2nd from 6-8 PM in our Community Meeting Room. We will provide light appetizers and child care, if needed. You will be joining staff and some student representatives in sharing:
- How has this shift away from “a stringent code” felt this fall?
- Different perspectives on dress code, from uniforms to “just be sensible.”
- Thoughts on the unique tension that dress code produces in a girls school.
- Thoughts on what is next at SGS. Are we prepared to lead in this arena?
I have a little homework for all of you. Here’s an article from The Nation that may spark thoughts in preparation for this conversation, Girls Speak Out Against Sexist School Dress Codes.
Rafael del Castillo, Head of School
Parents/Guardians: If you missed the last CAP meeting, you can review the meeting minutes here. You're invited to attend the next monthly CAP meeting on Thursday, Dec. 11, from 8:30-9:30 AM at the Singh House on the SGS campus.
CAP Meeting Update
[Community Association of Parents]
Stay connected to CAP by following their Twitter Stream either on the CAP page, or directly through Twitter. You can also find your grade-level representatives and a special announcement about donations for Mary's Place on the CAP page.
[Full SGS Calendar here » ]
- Nov. 26 - Early Dismissal, 12:05 PM
- Nov. 27-28 - No School [Thanksgiving Holiday]
- Dec. 1 - No School [Head's Holiday]
- Dec. 2 - Dress Code Roundtable with Rafael, 6-8 PM
- Dec. 6 - SGS Hosts ISEE Exam, 8:30 AM-1 PM [Register here »]
- Dec. 11 - Basketball tryouts [Garfield Community Center], 3:30-5 PM
- Dec. 13 - Admissions Open House, 10 AM-12:30 PM
- Dec. 22-Jan. 2 - No School [Winter Break]