Podcast Episode #226
SUBSCRIBE: iTunes • RSS • Stitcher • TuneIn Radio
On today’s episode, we welcome Mike Harland back to the podcast to discuss a trend we’ve noted before—the disappearance of choirs in the church.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- The church choir as we have known it historically is disappearing.
- Church choirs are doing less presentational music and more congregational leadership signing.
- The line between choir and praise team has blurred in many churches.
- The choir ministry should be a disciple-making ministry, not a performance ministry.
- Many churches don’t have choirs because they don’t have someone to lead the choir.
- In the early stages of a church’s life, the entire congregation is the choir.
- The largest choir in every church is the congregation.
The four areas Mike addresses are:
- What is a “choir?” and are we sure they are disappearing? (Role and function)
- Where did choirs come from? (Biblical and historical view of choirs)
- Strategy or necessity? (The leadership gap)
- The largest choir of every church. (Congregational singing)
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.
Midwestern Seminary, located in the heart of the Midwest, is one of the fastest growing seminaries in North America and offers a fantastic array of academic programs, including multiple online and residential options at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. Midwestern’s new 81-hour Mdiv program, online program, and doctoral program have all been recognized as some of the most innovative and affordable in the country. There has never been a better time to begin your seminary education. Midwestern Seminary trains leaders ‘For The Church.’
Visit them online at MBTS.edu/Rainer and start your ministry training today.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of I Will.
The post The Disappearance of Choirs – Rainer on Leadership #226 appeared first on ThomRainer.com.
Comment at ThomRainer.com »
Recently At ThomRainer.com: