SENIOR STAFF SCIENTIST
International CLIVAR Global Project Office
CLIVAR (www.clivar.org) is a Core Project of the World Climate Research Progamme (http://www.wcrp-climate.org ) dedicated to understanding the role of the ocean in the variability, predictability and change of climate, to the benefit of society and the environment in which we live. Each of the Core Projects has an International Project Office that acts as an extension of the WCRP Joint Planning Staff in Geneva, Switzerland, that has the overall responsibility for all the WCRP Core Projects. The International CLIVAR Global Project Office (ICGPO) is one of several offices of the International CLIVAR Project Office (ICPO) that together serve as the executive arm of the CLIVAR Scientific Steering Group and its panel and working groups. The ICGPO is based at the State Oceanographic Administrationâ€™s First Institute of Oceanography (SOA/FIO, Qingdao, China).
Duties and responsibilities of the ICGPO Senior Scientist
The ICGPO Senior Scientist assists the ICPO Executive Director to ensure that the ICGPO provides an effective executive arm for the CLIVAR Scientific Steering Group (SSG), its panels and working groups.
The ICGPO Senior Scientist will have the following key responsibilities:
1. Serve as secretariat to CLIVAR panels and working groups within the remit of the ICGPO. This includes, inter alia,
2. Build and maintain effective links between the ICGPO and the wider climate community.
- Assist the Panel/WG chairs in preparations for their meetings and workshops
- Attend panel/WG meetings and workshops
- Compile and edit the meeting reports and other relevant documents
- Create and maintain pertinent and attractive webpages for the Panel/WG activities
- Provide support to the Panel/WG Chairs between sessions.
- Liaise with other ICPO offices on related activities.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the relevant fields of research
3. Prepare articles and written and graphical input to CLIVAR and WCRP publications and websites.
4. Assist the Executive Director as needed.
- Graduate degree in oceanography or other climate-related science
- At least 5 yearsâ€™ experience in international coordination of scientific research;
- Familiarity with the CLIVAR project is an advantage;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Webpage creation and editing skills;
- Fluent in English, the working language of the ICGPO;
- Willingness/ability to undertake short international travel;
- Willingness to relocate.
Applications should include: (i) a Curriculum Vitae; (ii) a covering letter explaining your interest in the post and outlining your relevant skills and experience; and (iii) the names and addresses of three individuals who have indicated their readiness to provide a reference.
Applications should be sent via electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org If you prefer another method, please contact the ICGPO administrative assistant:
International CLIVAR Global Project Office, room 320
First Institute of Oceanography, SOA
6 Xianxialing Road,
Qingdao 266061, P.R. China
Tel: +86-532-8889 1760,
The closing date for applications is 15 October 2015.
The ICGPO Senior Scientist reports to the Director of the ICGPO. The ICGPO is hosted by FIO and follows the administrative guidelines and rules of the FIO.
The annual salary of the ICGPO Senior Scientist will be in the range of 320,000-440,000 CNY and will take due account of the experience and qualifications of the candidate. A modest relocation allowance is available. All salaries are subject to Chinese income tax. The initial contract of employment will be one year, with the possible extensions for another three years. It is expected that the successful candidate would take up his/her appointment, located in Qingdao, from1 January 2016, or as soon as possible thereafter.
For more information, please visit the projectâ€™s website at:
http://www.clivar.org/ or contact the ICGPO at email@example.com
If you wish to discuss the position informally please contact Valery Detemmerman, ICPO Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org