The CDC Know Hepatitis B Campaign &
Asian Media Overview
- See slides online for a detailed report on Asian news media sources and usage in the US, including media types and sectors, preferred media consumption behavior, general Asian media characteristics, and tips on how to work effectively with Asian or ethnic media.
- CDC Know Hepatitis B & Hep B United launched a national communications campaign in 2013 promoting Hep B testing among Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs). All content from this campaign can be used and shared by coalition partners! See tools here
- See slides online for an introduction to Team HBV NYC, including: activities of Team HBVâ€™s nationwide college and high school chapters, team-building and awareness events, and next steps for Team HBV NYC.
Public - Private Partnership Opportunity: Bringing Hep B Awareness to the Workplace in NYC
- Workgroup created to bring Hepatitis B into corporate Workplace Wellness. To join contact Henry Chang (firstname.lastname@example.org). Joined workgroup at this meeting:
- Vivian W Huang, MD Hep B Program (email@example.com)
- Hiroko Hatanaka, Communications (Hiroko.Hatanaka@iwgroupinc.com)
- Juanita Jones, Concord Medical Group (JJones@concordemed.com)
- Justin Fung (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jamie Love, Chinese American Medical Society (email@example.com)
- City-wide Hep B Community Screening Coordination - Use the Coalition Calendar to plan and coordinate community screenings.
- Check Hep B: City Council funded Hep B patient navigation program pilot. Program started December 2014! Hep B Coalition to serve as community advisory group.
- Hep B Birth Dose Initiative: Continue encouraging all NYC Birthing Centers to qualify for the National Birth Dose Honor Roll (see below).
- Policy & Advocacy Discussion: Hep B Leaders intend to engage in efforts to improve Hep B awareness and increase allocation of resources through advocacy work.
- Liver Capitol Hill Day (March 25): Participate in educating the new Congress on Hepatitis B and liver disease.
Key Annual Events for 2015: Mark your calendars!
- Chinese Lunar New Year Parade
- May - National Hepatitis Awareness Month
- 15 May - National Hispanic Hepatitis Awareness Day
- 19 May - National Hepatitis Testing Day
- 28 July - World Hepatitis Day
- October - National Liver Awareness Month
Next Meetings: February 25th and April 29th (3- 5 PM)
NYC Hep B Universal Birth Dose Initiative
Encourage NYC hospitals and birthing centers to qualify for the Hepatitis B Birth Dose Honor Roll! To apply click here
12 of 38 NYC Birthing Centers are on the honor roll:
- Coney Island Hospital, Brooklyn. Reported a coverage rate of 99% from 1/1/2013 to 12/31/2013.
- Flushing Hospital Medical Center, Flushing. Reported a coverage rate of 99% from 6/1/2013 to 6/30/2014.
- Forest Hills Hospital, Forest Hills. Reported a coverage rate of 91% from 1/1/2013 to 12/31/2013.
- Harlem Hospital Center. Reported a coverage rate of 96% from 1/1/2013 to 12/31/2013.
- Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, Jamaica. Reported a coverage rate of 96% from 10/31/2012 to 10/31/2013.
- Kings County Hospital Center, Brooklyn. Reported a coverage rate of 98% from 1/1/2013 to 12/31/2013.
- Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, Bronx. Reported a coverage rate of 100% from 1/1/2013 to 12/31/2013.
- Metropolitan Hospital Center, Women and Children's Services Health, Harlem. Reported a coverage rate of 100% from 7/1/2013 to 6/30/2014.
- New York Hospital Queens, Flushing. Reported a coverage rate of 93% from 1/1/2013 to 12/31/2013.
- Queens Hospital Center, Jamaica. Reported a coverage rate of 99% from 12/1/2012 to 11/30/2013.
- St. Barnabas Hospital, Bronx. Reported a coverage rate of 99% from 1/1/2013 to 12/31/2013.
- Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, Brooklyn. Reported a coverage rate of 95% from 9/1/2013 to 8/31/2014.
Immigrant-focused Community Resources:
Queens Borough President's Immigration Task Force.
Contact: Suzie Tanenbaum, Special Assistant on Immigrant & Inter-cultural Affairs, 718-286-2741
New American Chamber of Commerce. Contact: Margarita Cabral, V.P Clergy Affairs
YMCA New Americans Welcome Centers. New Americans Welcome Centers help immigrants achieve literacy, cultural competence, and self-sufficiency. The YMCA has established Welcome Centers in Manhattan (Chinatown and Harlem), Bronx, Brooklyn (Prospect Park), Staten Island (North Shore) & Queens (Flushing)
National Networking Opportunities
National Task Force on Hepatitis B.
Calls every 3rd Monday of the month (3:30- 4:30 PM). To join contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Coalition against Hepatitis in People of African Origin (CHIPO).
Next call is January 26. To join contact Chari Cohen
Hep B United Coalition.
Monthly calls every 2nd Thursday of the month (2-3PM). To join contact: Allan Gamboa
- Aaron Vanderhoff, African Services Committee (email@example.com)
- Allen Chiang, American Cancer Society (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Andrew Huang, NYC DOHMH (email@example.com)
- Angel Chen, CBWCHC (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Baekbong Kim, American Cancer Society (Baekbong.email@example.com)
- Carol Nguyen, Gilead (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Costa Kokkinos, NYC DOHMH (email@example.com)
- David Fiumaro, GSK (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Edward Wake, NYC DOHMH (email@example.com)
- Elyse Bevers, NYC DOHMH (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Frida Abramov, Gilead (Frida.email@example.com)
- Hiroko Hatanaka, IW Group Inc (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ileana Morales, Reality House, Inc (email@example.com)
- Irina Zamfir, BMS (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jamie Love, CAMS (email@example.com)
- Jonathan Bannigan, APICHA (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Juanita S. Jones, Concorde Medical Group (email@example.com)
- Julie Lazaroff, NYC DOHMH (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lisa Gallipoli, American Liver Foundation (email@example.com)
- Margarita Cabral, NYCHA, NAACP, NACC (firstname.lastname@example.org) (email@example.com)
- Maria Karlya, CBWCHC, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Natasha Coleman, American Cancer Society (email@example.com)
- Niki Bannister, CBWCHC (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Nirah Johnson, NYC DOHMH (Njohnso2@health.nyc.gov)
- Paul Bolter, American Liver Foundation (email@example.com)
- Paula Wong, H+EAL (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rebecca Park, NYU CSAAH (email@example.com)
- Sara (Soonsik) Kim, Korean Community Services (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Trevor Hedberg, Ryan Center (Trevor.Hedberg@ryancenter.org)
- Vinh Pham, MD, Bellevue (email@example.com)
- Vivian Huang, MD, CBWCHC (firstname.lastname@example.org) (email@example.com)