Costa Rica Update from The Tatum Family.....
Beth, Bryan and the triplets
As we have been sharing with you for the last several months, our work in Costa Rica has changed. Our work in the Methodist Children's Home has ended, and the Father has opened the door for us to continue His work in Costa Rica. We are so happy to partner and work alongside a great team in the Conexion Ministry.
As we talked and prayed with The Mission Society and other missionaries, we learned that this is a very normal part of missionary life. We heard many similar stories and how common it is for the Father to get you to the field in one area of ministry, for the purpose to open the door for another ministry.
So, what is Conexion?
Conexion was founded by nine years ago by a Columbian family, headed by Jherson, and his nephew, Jhonny. They believe in spreading the gospel of Jesus by acts of "extreme service" in communities of great poverty and need. The Conexion team is made up primarily of Latinos- Costa Ricans, Columbians, and now with us, North Americans.
We will share in more detail in future newsletters about these and other parts of God’s ministry in Costa Rica. Below is an outline of our work and goals as we share the love of Jesus with the children and families of Costa Rica.
This is an overview of some of the “categories” of the work we are involved:
• Construction and painting
• Distribution of food, clothing and school supplies
• Play days in the public schools. This sounds simple, but nine years of building relationships made this possible. These play days as a means of developing relationships and gives us the
opportunity to return to share the gospel with the parents.
• Teaching a Virtue and Values Curriculum in the underprivileged schools. We have received permission and we are currently in the process of preparing the curriculum. Several schools have
asked us to teach this curriculum and we are praying that this will become a powerful part in reaching children and their families.
• Sports camps
• Worship and praise concerts with the Conexion band
• Parent and Teacher, Christian based Seminars on health, marriage, parenting and teamwork
• Monthly medical and dental missions
• Christmas parties for up to 3000 children in different poverty stricken
• Hosting short term teams- due to the diversity of gifts that our Conexion team has been given, we mold the mission trip around the gifts of the team members.
• Teaching Celebrate Recovery inside the Women’s Prison
We also have a “home church” in our home each Sunday evening ministering to our Conexion staff, volunteers and others in the community.