News: what’s with readers today?. . .new publications. . .and more
Complete news at BonnieMcCune.com
• Something to think about: What’s going on with readers today? A survey from Goodreads member survey has surprising insights into reading habits (http://tinyurl.com/cjlserm). Social media isn’t as influential as thought; readers frequently look for works by favored authors; many read books on smart phones.
• Just published, “The Prophet” short story in Infective INk, read free online, http://infectiveink.com/?p=1028.
• Novella “Irish Episode” now available in paperback for $4.99, in addition to Kindle. Set in the early 1970s, this mainstream work book immerses an American woman in the life and times of a struggling Irish musician. See Amazon, http://tinyurl.com/bpqjo6x
WHAT I’M READING:
• It’s Fine by Me, by Per Petterson, Graywolf Press, 2012, translated by Don Bartlett. This small treasure of a book gifts the reader with more of Petterson’s excellent, spare, clean writing that somehow simultaneously conveys unspeakable emotion. An eighteen-year-old Norwegian hasn’t had an easy life; and the story provides insight into why through occasional flashbacks. NOT a “poor-me” saga, deep compassion surfaces again and again.
• Magnificence, by Lydia Millet. Susan Lindley, a woman adrift after her husband’s death and the dissolution of her family, embarks on a new phase in her life after inheriting her uncle’s sprawling mansion and its vast collection of taxidermy. While she restores the inanimate objects, an equally derelict human menagerie joins her. “Funny and heartbreaking.”
• The New Republic, by Lionel Shriver. Set in an imaginary country beneath the Iberian Peninsula, this political and social satire spotlights personality cults, terrorism, media frenzy, and love through the persona of its hero. A complex and stimulating, yet humorous, approach.
And others, see my website.
News about writing, books, publishing
Unsubscribe <<Email Address>> from this list:
Our mailing address is:
*[PO Box 300453, Denver, CO 80203-0453]*
Forward this email to a friend:
Update your profile: